Hello, it’s me…
And I am writing today, not about fitness/health (per se)… but about loving our LIVES. I feel like
so many of us (almost all of us) have grown up in a virtual reality and thus have forgotten the beauty of, well, real life.
If you feel like this may be you… I have come up with a list of 5 things you can start doing each day to ween you off your virtual reality obsession and help you find yourself again… and hopefully even start LOVING real life the way you did as a kid.
- Put down your phone. I know it may seem obvious, but have you actually TRIED to put your phone away and NOT pick it up 100 times a day? I downloaded an app called Moment which tracks my phone usage, app usage, and number of times I pick up my phone. It is horrifying to say the least. Using an app like this that will literally do it’s best to kick you off your phone once you go over the time you allot yourself for the day can be really useful. You’ll learn to live in the moment again and cut down on screen time.
- Wake up earlier. You are reading this and you’re like, “Bitch, you are crazy”. Trust me, I know how difficult it is to wake up in the mornings, especially when we have our mundane 9-5s to go to, which we or may not be passionate about. Let’s face it, we would rather be doing other things. But if we teach our bodies to wake up even 30 minutes earlier for YOU time, you will start to appreciate those moments and start your day off on the right foot. Use your 30 minutes to watch your favorite show, read your favorite book, get in a workout that you would otherwise skip, or just drink your favorite coffee snuggled up on your couch. Starting your day in a hectic, rushing around way will only mean your whole morning will feel off. Start your day for YOU.
- Take a walk by yourself or with a loved on. Keep your phone at home or in the car and request your friend(s) to do the same. Talk to each other about life and really listen to each other. Look around at the beautiful world we live on and gain a fresh perspective. Life really ain’t that bad. I mean, look around!
- Read a book or watch a movie. What better way to get in touch with your inner self than to get lost in your favorite book/movie/tv show with no interruptions?
- Visit a new coffee shop or restaurant that you’ve been too
busysucked into your Instagram feed to take the time to visit! There are so many COOL places all around you that you may not have noticed. Granted, IG is good for promoting these places, but if you just took a look around you would likely spot some on your own. Grab a friend or family member and go try something new!
There are truly so many ways we can fall back in love with our lives. I think it all kind of starts with getting off of our phones and actually making an effort to live it. Having a happy life does not mean it has to be a perfect life… it just means that we find the beauty in every day regardless of the hiccups of imperfections. Don’t let a bad moment turn into a bad day. Shake it off and smile again. You have the power to control how you react and you have the power to fall back in love with your life.